Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Consumption Control


 In a world of oversized portions and high calorie foods how do you control what you eat?

I drive from 43rd ave and Union Hills Drive to 43rd ave and Glendale and back at least 5 days a week. As I drive I pass a bunch of places that I could stop and eat food. Some are easy to pass others are not so easy.
How do I ignore that gnawing feeling in my stomach telling me to stop and grab a bite from here or there?


Eat Before you leave:

This is the first thing you need to do to make sure that you do not stop and waste a fuel stop on a 1000 calorie hamburger or load up on fats from a fast food joint.
If you are craving a burger don’t wait till you are on the road, grab a turkey burger patty out of your freezer and fire up your George Forman grill and grill the fat out of a delicious burger you can make at home. Don’t have time to prepare a burger from scratch before work? Prep everything when you have time and then all you have to do is flop your meat on the grill while you get ready and then fix your bun and you have a quick delicious substitute to that fatty, dry, heat lamp burger. Still don’t have time before work, while you can always prep a salad in a plastic bowl with a lid and take it with you eating an apple, carrots, or cucumbers as you get ready and then following or next tip to get you to work worry free.


Drink Water!

This is the second tip I discuss but it is actually quite a bit more important than the first tip.
Make sure you are drinking plenty of water you should always have a water bottle on hand and you should refill it as soon as it is empty with good quality water… If it’s brown turn it down! Water is better for you if it has high alkaline levels, that’s not saying you should walk around with water test strips but I do recommend drinking from a trusted source… not all SODA companies can be trusted to provide you with good quality water, do some research. Anytime you begin to feel hungry grab a light snack, fruits or veggies, and your water.
Water does two things:
It fills the space that your body wants to fill with food so that if you do eat you get full faster.
It rehydrates you… you can begin to feel hungry if your body has not been hydrated properly.
I have a water dispenser that I bought at Walmart and I have a five gallon jug on it that I fill at the water store down the street from my house, when it is not 110 degrees I carry the water jug it is about a half mile or so which is good exercise. I have a large size water bottle that I always have on me and I am always drinking from. Even with as much water as I drink, I do not drink soda at all, I have a hydrationindex of -3.2.


Eat fiber

YUCK. Why would I want to eat cardboard flavored cereal?
Yes original flavor fiber one taste horrible and I do not like to eat it either but there are other flavors that do not taste half bad and you can also eat fruit. Fora list of the ten best sources of fiber check out this post.
Fiber is awesome
It helps you stay full for longer, because it takes longer for your body to digest it.
It helps you poop on schedule, if I eat a bowl of fiber one cereal every day I can count on dropping the kids off at the pool at around 10 every morning.
If you are trying to lose weight fiber helps your body flush out the excess fat in your digestive track
Finally it helps you drop those rock hard poos you always dream of.
While it is important to poop on a regular basis do not get carried away and keep a log of logs… unless your into that kind of thing.


Eat Enough

Everyone is on a diet
It does not matter if you are vegetarian, vegan, carnivore, omnivore; if you are on the Atkins diet or the SEE FOOD diet. You want to eat enough to make you not hungry, if you feel like you are about to pop 20 minutes after you eat then you tried to consume enough to feed a third world country!
The suggested serving size is just that SUGGESTED, only you know what you need to eat to be satisfied but do not overfill and make ever calorie count… not to be confused with count every calorie.
Count Calories
This is the most tedious and annoying thing in the world and you will hate every god forsaken second of it and you will curse my name and your name and whatever website you are using to track your calorie intake, but it is a good tool. This is temporary, you count calories for a couple of months. Once you get a routine down and understand serving sizes you will be able to prepare a menu or plate for yourself without over consuming.


Keep your goal in mind

This is the hardest one because as you drive past your favorite fast food hole in the wall, or what have you, you will not be thinking I need to drop a unspecified number of pounds you will be thinking my stomach is growling, when was the last time I ate, I don’t want the nasty salad sitting in my passenger seat, I want a deliciously horribly tasteless heat lamp burger on stale buns.


Last but not least think about the last thing you think about in the above point

Deliciously Horribly Tasteless heat lamp burger on stale buns.
If your still hungry after that eat something healthy like a sandwich from a sandwich shop or the salad bar at a salad bar having place.


#1 Adivce for fast easy weight loss

STOP DRINKING SODA!

20 oz bottle of mt dew - 275 calories
20 oz bottle of water - 0 calories


Have a Happy and Healthy week



Thomas Gould

No comments:

Post a Comment