Saturday, August 9, 2014

How to balance working out with working

"Sporadic work schedules make for a non-existent workout schedule." Don't be a twit! Send a

As a manager and driver for a major pizza chain I work a lot and my schedule from day to day is never the same.

So how do I find time to work out?

While it is ideal for you to not only have a set work schedule but also have a set exercise schedule that is not always a viable option. In my case one day I may work 9 am to 7 pm and the next I may work 5 pm to 2 am which does not provide me the ability to exercise on a set routine. In order for me to find time to work out I have to communicate my needs, monitor my schedule, and avoid procrastinating.

The key to having the time you need to do the things you want is to communicate your needs to those that control your schedule. If you have a direct supervisor then let them know that you would like time to go to the gym. If they are like myself and try an accommodate your needs when making the schedule then you will get a "better" shot at a set workout schedule. Since there will still be days I have to open and close since I am the only one available I have a gym membership to a literally 24hr gym, this allows me the flexibility to go when ever I have the time.

I know that there are going to be days that I have to close, I am the only driver available in my store to close on Tuesdays, so I will schedule most of my workouts in the morning. This also allows me the opportunity to request mostly closing shifts since I need to be available at 3 on weekdays to pick my kid up from school. Each bit of information about my schedule gives me a more accurate brick of time that is possible for me to workout. Since my kid has to be at school at 8 am and I have to pick him up at 3 pm that gives me the brick of time between dropping him off and picking him up to workout.

I know that if I go drop him off and then come back home I will end up going back to bed and sleeping the day I way. So since I am already out and my gym is always open I can and should go right after I drop my son off. This also gives my body time to recover before having to drive a bunch and allows a shower. If I were to procrastinate and not go right away I would either not get up in time to workout at all or I would go and have to cut my time short and I may not get a shower in before pick him up. You do not want to be that guy that smells like BO and sweat at work. I was that guy once, I thought nobody noticed but they all commented later.

It is important that no matter how you find the time to workout that you make sure you find the time. If you are TO TIRED to workout, TO BAD go do it anyway your body will stop being to tired. Once you get the blood pumping and you start to get a routine going your body will retain the ability to workout. Having a varying schedule may be good for you as well, it will stop your body from storing energy till that time when you go to the gym everyday, because it will never know when you are going to go.

Sorry I do not have pictures for you today, this post is already late.

Have a Happy and Healthy day!




Thomas Gould

No comments:

Post a Comment